Open Site Navigation

Portfolio

We apply a winning formula to every project: historic and present-day site analysis, identification of key challenges and positioning the property appropriately for success. The result is an impressive list of diverse properties that provide economic benefits to tenants and communities and enhance quality of life for neighborhood residents.

From community revitalization to historical preservation, Washington St. Partners

has established a strong reputation for success.

The Rail Line 

Situated at the edge of Armory Square in Syracuse, NY, the Rail Line is a modern events, meetings and gathering space. Our facility is a refined industrial complex built atop a classic Syracuse train trestle. Rail Line offers indoor seating; a full service bar; a large, ground-level courtyard; a private, exterior courtyard outside the dining and bar area; and rooftop access with garden.

Merchants Commons 

Merchants Commons is a modern, urban mixed-use building featuring over 34,500 sf of commercial space and 66 residential apartment units in downtown Syracuse, New York. Two buildings, the Merchants Bank building and the Snow Building, were combined to create a most unique environment in which to live and work.

Washington St. Partners was selected as the preferred developer in a competitive RFP process to transform a parking lot into the centerpiece of Armory Square, Syracuse's entertainment and dining district. Using smart growth principals, we created a mixed-use building that leveraged  existing neighborhood and community resources.

Jefferson Clinton Commons

Firehouse #1 (2004-2012)

Firehouse No. 1 was a windowless, failing structure that sat vacant for 20 years before Washington St. Partners turned it into a successful, mixed-use property with three luxury condominiums and ground-floor retail/office space. Where others saw an eye sore, WSP saw the potential to create a highly desirable and unique property.

St. Luke's Hospital Annex (1999 - 2019)

The Prime gateway to the historic East End neighborhood of Newburgh, NY.  The areas largest  employer, St. Luke's Hospital, this circa 1850 structure had fallen into disrepair, and by most estimates was beyond repair. Located on the corner of DuBois and Broadway, this development was the key to the revitalization  of the DuBois Street Corridor.

The Courier Building holds a lot of Syracuse history: It housed one of the city's first newspapers and was the site of a speech by Daniel Webster in 1847. But the building changed hands numerous times over the years and was eventually foreclosed upon and left to deteriorate. Living space in the building accommodates visiting students and chefs.

The Courier Building (1999 - 2004)

Baldwinsville Village Commons

The sprawling Goulds Pump Factory sat vacant in the heart of Baldwinsville when Washington St. Partners recognized its potential and what its redevelopment could do for the riverfront village.

Mixed Use

McCarthy Building

The original headquarters for the McCarthy Department Store chain, this building lost its historical character when renovations in the 1960s covered its beautiful 1897 façade. The building’s condition and occupancy declined sharply in the 1980s as economic conditions soured. Today the McCarthy Building is 100-percent occupied with stable office and retail tenants.

University Building

Originally built in 1897 to house the Syracuse University law college, the University Building by the early 1990s became a neglected property and eventually fell into foreclosure as tenants sought other locations with more stable management. Today the building is 97-percent occupied with a variety of professional tenants.

935 James Street

Located in what once was the “insurance corridor” of the 1970s, 935 James Street was a victim of suburban flight in the 1990s and sat vacant for a number of years. By leveraging private capital and public development incentives, Washington St. Partners was able to attract the Workers' Compensation Board as a tenant.

Originally built as a train station in 1994, the Susquehanna was vacant and neglected when the Washington St. Partners purchased it and converted it into much needed office space in downtown Syracuse. The Susquehanna is part of the award-winning JCC project in Armory Square

The Susquehanna

Once a bustling 1930's-era train station annex, Pomeroy Place is now a 100 - percent occupied office building in the heart of Syracuse's lively entertainment and dinging district.  Part of the JCC project the restoration building reflects its original facade. 

Pomeroy Place

Office

Seminary Commons

Seminary Commons is located in the charming city of Auburn. The property is just one block from the West Arterial/Route 5 & 20 (more than 22,000 cars per day) and Route 34 (more than 13,000 cars per day). A new façade is to be constructed and interior renovations can be made to suit. This is an ideal location for professional services such as a physician’s office.

Elizabethtown (2006)

Washington St. Partners was selected by Kinney Drugs to develop a new store in this small town in the Adirondack Park, near Lake Placid, New York. The town offered limited locations suitable for Kinney, and WSP determined that an existing property occupied by a Grand Union Market grocery store was the best solution to meet Kinney’s requirements and add value to the community. 

Warsaw Shopping Center

Once the center of a bustling community, the Warsaw Shopping Center had become the victim of increased retail competition  by the mid-1900's.  It's economic and physical demise was reflected in the shuttered Ames department store and the vacant parking lot.  But thanks to Washington St. Partners, this shopping center is once again a retail hub.

Hardwood Commons 
(2000 - 2014)

Washington St. Partners recognized the site of a derelict manufacturing structure as an untapped resource for the surrounding neighborhood's growth. With 22,000 people living within a one-mile radius of the site and 20,000 cars passing it each day, the site could fill a need for retail and services in the community.

Trumansburg (2006)

In constructing a new Kinney Drug Store on the site of  a former auto junk yards, Washington St. Partners sought to enhance this scenic town on Cayuga Lake and give its residents a suitable retail business through smart growth.  We remained sensitive to the residents concerns and worked with their architects, engineers and the municipality to effectively accommodate Kinney's desires.

The Wellsville Shopping Center was once the heart of retail commerce for this small rural community, but by 1997 it was 80 percent vacant and in foreclosure. Local shoppers were forced to visit other communities for their purchases. Washington St. Partners purchased and renovated the property to eliminate its 1970s-era appearance in 1999. 

Wellsville Shopping Center (1998-2018)

Retail

Jefferson Clinton Hotel (2000-2015)

Before the Jefferson Clinton was Syracuse's premier downtown hotel, it had been taken over by the city for nonpayment of taxes and sat vacant for ten years. Today it is the most successful boutique hotel in an area with the city's highest occupancy rates, bringing in tourists and visitors who pump new money into the local economy.

Hospitality

Dey's Centennial Plaza

The Dey's building is a prime example of partnership between private developers and government. With little demand for office and retail space in downtown Syracuse in the 1980s and 90s, the once-grand building sat vacant and neglected for years until Joe Hucko and his partners recognized an opportunity to lift up the commercial district and help a public utility manage its resources. A renovated building could give Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation a place to consolidate its customer service centers, revitalizing the surrounding area in the process. 

City Hall Commons

The renovation of the former SA&K building helped revitalize the commercial district of Syracuse and benefited the city both economically and aesthetically. Joe Hucko and his partners evaluated the potential uses for the derelict building and determined it could fill the city's dire need for office space. Local officials roundly supported the project; they were eager to preserve the historic building that, with its distinctive wedge shape and rounded point, was considered a predecessor to the Flatiron Building in New York City.

The Larned Building

The 100-year-old Larned Building in downtown Syracuse was a crumbling and badly deteriorated office complex and people were calling for the eyesore to be demolished. After some in-depth research of the surrounding area and market for commercial space, Joe Hucko and his partners learned that what the area needed was parking spaces. The Larned's facade was restored and renovated to reflect the revitalized historic downtown business district. The ground floor now houses 15,000 square feet of retail space. 

Partnership Projects